The gravesite and museum observation deck overlook the plains and the Rocky Mountains where Buffalo Bill once roamed. Inside, exhibits tell the story of Buffalo Bill and the historic role he played in the Wild West. An interactive Kids’ Cowboy Corral gives kids the chance to design a brand and try lassoing a calf. Many day trip tours that depart from Denver include the Buffalo Bill Museum and Grave alongside other attractions such as the Red Rocks Park and Amphitheater.
Things to Know Before You Go
- The historic site is popular amongst history buffs and cowboy fanatics.
- The Pahaska Tepee Cafe has a full grill serving buffalo entrees.
- The museum and gravesite are wheelchair accessible.
- Entrance is free during the annual Buffalo Bill birthday party.
How to Get There
The Buffalo Bill Museum and Grave is 10 miles (16 kilometers) outside of Golden on the Lariat Loop Historic Byway. It is 20 miles (32 kilometers) west of Denver on I-70 West. There is no public transportation to the site so you can either drive yourself or join a tour that visits the spot. There is free parking at the museum.
When to Get There
The museum is open daily from 9am to 5pm May through October and from 10am to 5pm from November through April. During the winter the museum is closed on Mondays as well as on Thanksgiving and Christmas Day. The gift shop and cafe stay open until sunset year round. Visit in February for Buffalo Bill’s birthday celebration.
Artifacts in the Buffalo Bill Museum In addition to Buffalo Bill’s grave, you can also see many of his personal items in the museum. Some of the most noteworthy items include the Stetson hat he wore during his last performance and the head of the last buffalo he shot. The museum also displays a peace pipe belonging to Sitting Bull (an American Indian chief who performed with Buffalo Bill) and early recordings of Buffalo Bill introducing Wild West shows.
- Things to do in Colorado
- Things to do in Fort Collins
- Things to do in Breckenridge
- Things to do in Colorado Springs
- Things to do in Vail
- Things to do in Aspen
- Things to do in Albuquerque
- Things to do in Sedona
- Things to do in Phoenix
- Things to do in Las Vegas
- Things to do in Utah
- Things to do in New Mexico
- Things to do in Monument Valley
- Things to do in Arizona
- Things to do in Missouri