Rio de Janeiro Royal Palace (Paco Imperial) Tours and Activities
This former governor’s home was built in 1743 and later served as the residence of the famed Dom Joao. And while this famed Portuguese palace is renowned for its important place in both national and colonial history (the Freedom from Slavery Act was introduced on Paco Imperial’s steps), today it is better known for hosting concerts, movies and other cultural events.
Paco Imperial is registered as an architectural treasure by the National Artistic and Historical Heritage Institute. This designation has made it a destination for travelers looking to get in touch with both Brazilian history and experience the royal architecture typical of Rio. In addition to temporary art exhibits and musical performances, the palace is home to the Paulo Santos Library—a collection that includes rare books dating back to the 16th century and volumes on topics related to engineering, art and architecture.
Tours and Activities to Experience Rio de Janeiro Royal Palace (Paco Imperial)
- Things to do in Southeast Brazil
- Things to do in Santos
- Things to do in Belo Horizonte
- Things to do in Sao Paulo
- Things to do in Northeast Brazil
- Things to do in The Pampas
- Things to do in Northwest Argentina
- Things to do in Altiplano
- Things to do in Amazon
- Things to do in South Coast
- Things to do in Patagonia