Christ the Redeemer Statue (Cristo Redentor)
The largest art deco statue in the world, Christ the Redeemer is 130 feet (39 meters) tall with arms measuring 98 feet (30 meters) across. Just about every Rio city tour includes a stop here, with many combining a visit with other top attractions such as the Sugar Loaf Mountain cable car and Santa Teresa. Choose between hiking tours, city sightseeing tours, and half-day trips to the statue.
Recent reviews from experiences in Rio de Janeiro
Things to Know Before You Go
Skip-the-line tickets and exclusive early-access tours allow you to beat the crowds to the top.
Choose between a private tour and a small-group tour for an exclusive experience.
Tours include either cog train tickets or vehicle transportation to the top of the mountain.
The Corcovado cog train departs every 20 to 30 minutes and is wheelchair accessible.
How to Get to the Statue of Christ the Redeemer
To reach the statue at the top of Corcovado, take the cog train or minibus from Santa Teresa. The train, which offers some spectacular views (especially if you sit on the right-hand side), leaves from the Cosme Velho train station at Rua Cosme Velho 513.
When to Get There
Opening hours vary seasonally, but the site is roughly open from 8am to 6 or 7pm. On a clear day, the views from the base of the statue include the beaches of Leblon, Copacabana, and Ipanema, Sugar Loaf Mountain, and Guanabara Bay. After dark, the statue is lit up and seems to hover over all of Rio. Expect heavy summer crowds; consider booking a skip-the-line ticket to save some time.
Visiting the Nearby Tijuca Rainforest
Regardless of how you reach the top of Corcovado, you'll travel through the Tijuca Rainforest, or Floresta Tijuca. One of the world's largest urban rain forests at 12.4 square miles (3,212 hectares), Tijuca is home to a variety of endemic Brazilian plants and animals. Before or after your visit to the statue, plan to spend some time exploring the attractions here.
- Things to do in Southeast Brazil
- Things to do in Santos
- Things to do in Belo Horizonte
- Things to do in Sao Paulo
- Things to do in Northeast Brazil
- Things to do in The Pampas
- Things to do in Northwest Argentina
- Things to do in Altiplano
- Things to do in Amazon
- Things to do in South Coast
- Things to do in Patagonia
- Paineiras Road (Estrada das Paineiras)
- Mirante Dona Marta
- Lage Park (Parque Lage)
- Cosme Velho
- Santa Marta Favela
- Corcovado Train (Trem do Corcovado)
- Rio de Janeiro Botanical Garden (Jardim Botanico)
- Rodrigo de Freitas Lagoon (Lagoa Rodrigo de Freitas)
- Vista Chinesa
- Copacabana Beach (Praia de Copacabana)
- Leblon Beach (Praia do Leblon)
- Rio de Janeiro Museum of Modern Art (Museu de Arte Moderna)
- Ipanema Hippie Fair (Feira Hippie de Ipanema)