Museum of Image and Sound (MIS)
Visit the museum’s permanent collection, which includes highlights like an exhibit dedicated to the history of the circus with interviews, photographs, and an oral history of the São Paulo carnival. Then enjoy a rotating program of temporary exhibitions—past subjects have included Stanley Kubrick and David Bowie. Tickets to the museum are limited, so book admission in advance to ensure a spot.
Things to Know Before You Go
The Museum of Image and Sound is popular with fans of photography and cinematography.
Admission to the permanent collection on the ground floor is free, however temporary exhibition come with an additional fee.
Most visitors find that about 1.5 hours is enough time to take in all of the exhibits.
MIS has restrooms and free Wi-Fi and is accessible to travelers in wheelchairs.
How to Get There
The Museum of Image and Sound is located on Av. Europa in the historical center of São Paulo. Bus numbers 908T, 930P, and 7181 all service the museum: disembark at stop Av. Europe 158, then walk less than a minute to reach the museum.
When to Get There
The museum is open from Tuesday–Sunday, morning through evening, with shortened hours on Sundays and holidays. MIS is closed on Mondays and on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and New Year’s Day.
Museums in Sao Paulo
São Paulo boasts several noteworthy museums. After visiting MIS, head to the São Paulo Museum of Art (MASP), which offers more than 10,000 classic works from across the globe; and the Museu de Arte Moderna de São Paulo (MAM), which boasts almost 5,000 sculptures and paintings created by the biggest names in contemporary art in Latin America. Both museums are within walking distance of the Museum of Image and Sound (MIS).
- Things to do in Southeast Brazil
- Things to do in Santos
- Things to do in Rio de Janeiro
- Things to do in Belo Horizonte
- Things to do in The Pampas
- Things to do in Northwest Argentina
- Things to do in Northeast Brazil
- Things to do in Altiplano
- Things to do in Amazon
- Things to do in South Coast
- Things to do in Patagonia
- Hotel Unique
- Jardins District
- Itaim Bibi
- KidZania Sao Paulo
- Ibirapuera Park
- Sao Paulo Museum of Art (MASP)
- Paulista Avenue (Avenida Paulista)
- Sao Paulo Football Museum (Museu do Futebol)
- Sunset Square (Praça Por do Sol)
- Estádio Municipal Paulo Machado de Carvalho (Pacaembu Stadium)
- Luis Carlos Berrini Avenue (Avenida Berrini)
- Italian Building
- Liberdade (Bairro da Liberdade)
- Republic Square (Praça da República)
- Martinelli Building (Edifício Martinelli)